Sunday, March 14, 2010

Escape

I want to escape to a place this serene.
Today in the lunchroom, one of the science teachers said there's some new research out that found that people who are frequently stressed are actually doing permanent damage to the frontal cortex (I think?). If this is true, I think this part of my brain will be kaput in the next few years. I'm usually a patient and practical person, but right now I'm neither.

As a way of calming down and taking a step back, I've been trying to use this meditation that one of my professors at SLU introduced me to a while back:

"Following the Breath"
-Thich Nhat Hahn

Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.
Dwelling in the present moment,
I know this is a wonderful moment!
Breathing in I know I'm breathing in.
Breathing out, I know
as the in-breath grows deep,
the out-breath grows slow.
Breathing in makes me calm.
Breathing out brings me ease.
With the in-breath, I smile.
With the out breath, I release.
Breathing in, there is only the present moment.
Breathing out, it is a wonderful moment.


Listening to: The Script "Breakeven"
Thought of the Day: "Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart." -Anonymous

{Image via Mandr}

No comments:

Post a Comment