Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sexy History

Tomorrow marks the end of my first week of complete teaching - lectures, activities, grading, everything! I'm not going to lie, I'm very happy that tomorrow's Friday. It's been a long, yet super fast week. But I am extremely blessed to have an amazing cooperating teacher. He's been very friendly, supportive, and encouraging, always knowing the right questions to ask and advice to give. Yesterday I was discouraged about my ability to lecture (I stink at public speaking!) and not being able to be engaging and culturally relevant to the students. This morning when I got to school, my teacher handed my a Borders bag and in it there were two books. In order to start my collection of stories and references that will help me to, as my teacher says, "make history sexy", Badass: A Relentless Onslaught of the Toughest Warlords, Vikings, Samurai, Pirates, Gunfighters, and Military Commanders to Ever Live and Uncle John's Bathroom Reader: Plunges into History. They sound extremely weird, but so far I have learned so many random facts! I would highly recommend these for anyone who doesn't like history - but watch out; if you didn't guess it from the title, Badass is a bit crude, but amazing. Yay for new books and amazing mentors!

{Ben Thompson's Badass}

{Uncle John's Bathroom Reader}

Listening to: "How Do I Breathe" Mario
Thought of the Day: "Fall seven times, stand up eight." - Japanese proverb

1 comment:

  1. Kim S. got my dad the Uncle John's Sports History book - he and Vince love it!

    ReplyDelete