Wednesday, November 18, 2009

for hope. for strength. for life

So I swore I wasn't going to be one of those girls. I wasn't going to going to broadcast to the blog world that I'm a "sorority girl!". And I am not a stereotypical sorority girl (from my experience that is just what people want to think sorority girls are so that they can write them off). My sorority is such a huge part of who I am and I am so proud to be able to say I am a Delta Gamma. It is so easy to think these women (and guys in frats) are just ditzy, party girls or whatever you want, but being in a sorority is so much more than that. It is lifelong bonds of friendship. It, like biological sisterhood, has ups and downs. I don't always get along with my sisters and frankly, I can't stand them some days. But because we are connected by something so much deeper than just friendship, we can come back to this safe place that we call "home".

We had elections in my chapter tonight and one of the member's speeches really made an impact on me and then I started procrastinating and found these quotes:

"delta gamma is my life. it is what i wake up to and fall asleep to. it inspires me to excel to my fullest potential."

"twenty years from now you will be more disappointed in the things you didn't do than the things you did do... so cast off your bowlines, catch trade winds as you sail, sail away from your safe harbor, and get ANCHORED in something new. explore. dream. discover. delta gamma"

This is what it means to me to be a Delta Gamma.

Thanks for listening; I'll get off my soap box now.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I dunno about sorority stuff. Glad it works for you. Just don't be replacing your real sister. You've only got one of those. :)

    Hope you found an awesome dress for tonight. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete