Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Taking a Break


I drove home yesterday to begin my Thanksgiving break and I think I brought a new meaning to the idea of a relaxing break. Before dinner, I went downstairs to watch a little TV (it's been a while since I watched any mindless reality TV) and I immediately fell asleep (at 5pm!) and didn't wake up until 9am this morning! I guess that is what I get for pulling my first - and hopefully last! - all-nighter ever. This semester has not been my friend and I can't wait to start next semester, even though I probably should be terrified since I will be student teaching. I guess I will just cross that bridge when I come to it?
I realized this week that I have problems with living in the moment, cherishing what is actually happening instead of worrying about what is in the future. I keep finding myself stressing way too much about school work, applications for future endeavors, and whether or not I will be able to compete with other applicants while I am hanging out with friends, at the gym, or even reading the newspaper. So I have decided that I need to make a conscious effort to think about what is happening right now and savor the moments as I live them. I want to live more meaningfully. Any suggestions on doing this would be greatly appreciated! And what better time to start with the Thanksgiving season!

Recipe: Little Balsamic-Glazed Onions via Sunset Magazine
{sounds delish, but holy cow, 2 hours of prep!?}

Thankful Thoughts:
1. People like Jim Keady who really believe that one person can change the world - please watch his video, Behind the Swoosh!
2. Diet Pepsi
3. finished with one major paper!
4. invigorating conversations about social justice
5. warm sweaters and Target moccasins

Random Tidbit:

Appropriate since I am writing a lesson plan right now about the natives' perspective of Central American colonization... How teachers should really teach the real story of Thanksgiving. I learned it from a completely Euro-centric viewpoint, did you?

Listening to: "Doesn't Mean Anything" Alicia Keys
Thought of the Day: "If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you haven't done much today." - Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment