Monday, August 10, 2009

Blooms and Bobbles

Growing up, we had a walk-in closet full of all things crafty. Fabric from old projects, ribbon, sequins, yarn, beads, clay, everything. I loved spending a summer afternoon with my sister or my best friend making necklaces, pillows, and bead animal key chains. Because of this, I can never look at a store and wonder how I could make something myself, whether it is a necklace or a decorated t-shirt, or a skirt. Sometimes things turn out and other times they don't, but I love spending time by myself with my own miniature fabric store. So when I saw this Windflower necklace on Anthropologie's website, I had to make my own.

What you'll need: a simple fabric (mine was a light cotton), ribbon in a matching color, pins, needle, fabric scissors, thread

1. Cut fabric circles. The number of circles and the circle size corresponds to the final bloom size (4 different sized blooms).
2. Pinch the circles into little ruffles. Secure each with a pin.
3. Cut another fabric circle and begin to sew the ruffles onto the circle, one by one. Continue adding ruffles until you are satisfied with the bloom.
4. Once all 7 blooms are sewn, lay a piece of ribbon on the back of the 3 side blooms. Pin and sew to secure. Repeat with the opposite 3 blooms.
5. Adding more ribbon and stitches, attach the middle bloom to both sides.


{I also added beads to the center of each bloom; optional, but I like the added touch.
Just do this at the end of step 3.}

Listening to: "Here Comes the Sun" Bob Khaleel
Thought of the Day: "... because when you stop and look around, life is pretty amazing." - anon.

1 comment:

  1. OMG I HAVE BEEN WANTING A BIB NECKLACE SOOO MUCH, CAN WE PLEASE MAKE ONE TOGETHER WHEN WE REUNITE?????

    miss you,
    Shay

    ReplyDelete