Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Starting July off on the Right Page

Holy cow! I can't believe that it is already July... where is my summer going? I just realized that it is almost halfway over and I haven't read nearly enough books. Summer used to be the time I read 4 or 5 books per week, but once I started college and working, reading sadly got shoved to the side. But, I have a new goal for this summer (I know, I am really into making goals for myself) which is to read at least one book a week. The only stipulation is that it has to be a fun book. I read so many books for school (I am a history major), so it's not like I don't read; they just aren't the kind that you want to read by the pool or have on your bedside table.
Here's a look at what is on my list:

I loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, so while this is for a bit younger audience, it's a fun way to get back into lighthearted reading. I also liked The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Brashares.

I think I am the only person who has trouble getting into this book. It was recommended to me by my sister, one of my best friends, and numerous blogs (check out the comments here), but I am having issues finding the point of the whole thing. The author details her journey through love (I think my major mental block is the relationship with the man about 40 years older than her - I just find this weird, sort of like Rachel Wiesz in Definitely Maybe), but I am going to force myself to finish it. I would love any insights that might help me with it!

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
So, I'm a little late on this one, but I want to see the movie and I don't want to ruin the book by knowing the ending since books always turn out to be better than the movie.

Blacklisted by History by M. Stanton Evans

This is for my history course, so it doesn't technically fit my original criteria, but I think it is really interesting and insightful into the effects the media has on our perception of people and events.

Any suggestions for future reads?


Thought of the day: "Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle." - Christian D. Larson
Listening to: "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas (I am so obsessed with this song; it's a little embarrassing)

2 comments:

  1. I like your goals they are inspiring me to get some!

    I'm going to say that Blacklisted by History isn't a fun book!

    I think you should read the 6th Harry Potter Book in anticipation for the movie, because that is actually a fun book!

    p.s.- Thanks for your Paint help, I used your skills in my new post :) I'm very excited for blog day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as Girl's Guide goes, I found that it helped to read it as short stories--enjoy them one at a time and understand that some might be more interesting to you than others. I think it's something that might touch a reader in different way depending on the age when it is read. If you do want a movie of it, see "Suburban Girl" an adaptation from the book.

    If you'd rather have a complete novel, read Bank's "The Wonder Spot." I like how it focuses on the family in conjunction to relationships.

    Also, I just finished Jhumpa Lahiri's "The Namesake." Also a very family-focused book. Fantastic writing, so precise and clear, yet seems as though it was effortless. It did make me cry three times though, so watch out.

    ReplyDelete