Monday, October 26, 2009

Caramelized Onions

Until a few years ago I detested onions. The texture, the taste, all of it, but now, thank goodness, I can't get enough of them. Which is why I would have the strange craving for caramelized onions at 11pm a few nights ago. Or maybe it was my procrastination kicking in. Either way, the onions were delicious.
I couldn't remember which recipe I usually used, but I figured I couldn't go wrong by combining recipes from Heart of Light and Smitten Kitchen.

{finely slice your onion(s)}

{put in a pot (no oil or butter yet!) and let cook over medium, covered for 20ish minutes;
uncover and add a pinch of sugar, a pinch of salt and a bit of olive oil and a bit of butter}


{cook over low heat until golden, stirring occasionally; savor and repeat often}

Is it weird that I ate these plain? Probably, but the flavor is so amazing - sweet and savory - that they perfect by themselves.

Listening to: "Wedding Dress" Matt Nathanson
Thought of the Day: "Loved people are loving people." -Katherine Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment